The Bosun on a yacht is the leader of the Deckhands. They will have worked on yachts for at least 2-3 years and are now in a position to be given more responsibilities onboard.
A Yacht Bosun works under the Chief officer onboard and is responsible for managing the Deckhands, among other duties.
Additionally, depending on the size of the yacht, there may be a 2nd and 3rd Officer above the Bosun. There could also be anywhere from 2 to 10 deckhands that the Bosun needs to manage.
Table of Contents
Salary of a Yacht Bosun
A Bosun salary can range anywhere from $3500 to $6000 for more experienced Bosuns on larger superyachts.
Additional skills such as scuba diving instructor, fishing guide, or kiteboarding instructor can also increase a Bosun’s salary.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Bosun on a Yacht
After a few years of experience in the industry, a Yacht Bosun should be able to coordinate daily maintenance and work duties onboard. They are also required to handle watersports during guest activities and liaise with the guests.
Bosuns are required to have:
- sound knowledge in tasks such as varnishing, painting, caulking, sanding
- product knowledge for what is used on the vessel for cleaning and maintenance
- strong tender driving experience
- the ability to lead and manage the deck team
- confidence to manage crane operations and launching of water sport toys
- confidence with anchor operations
- the ability to manage water sports with guests
Qualifications Required to Become a Bosun on a Yacht
There are no official mandatory qualifications required to become a Bosun. However, as you will be handling tenders, water sports, and bridge watches, you will require the respective licenses depending on the size of the vessel.
- Proficiency in Designated Security Duties
- RYA Power Boat Level 1
- Efficient Deckhand Course
- Yacht Master Offshore
- GMDSS VHF/SRC Radio Operators Certificate
Climbing the Ranks in the Yachting Industry
If you are new to the yachting industry and interested in becoming a yachtie, my goal is to equip you with the necessary knowledge and tools to ensure you land your first job.
You will need to start with the basics of becoming a deckhand, and then work your way up the ranks to becoming a Bosun on a Yacht. Ultimately one day you will hopefully become a Captain of your own vessel.
Getting into the yachting industry may seem daunting, but the rewards of joining this elite industry and traveling the world are well worth it. Good luck on your journey!